Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Advent Week II - Tuesday Thoughts - 12/11/2012

Daily Thoughts: We have all had those moments when we lost something or at least thought we lost something. We search and search, sometimes checking the same places two and three times. Sometimes what we've lost seems small, insignificant other times it is very important, yet we still search. And when we find it there is a tremendous relief and a feeling of joy!

I can remember one time about 22 years ago when I lost my mother and my aunt on Fifth Avenue in the middle of Manhattan on the Friday after Thanksgiving. Now your first question might be what was I doing on Fifth Avenue on Black Friday, well that is another story. The point is that I did not know were my mother and aunt were for over an hour. I ran up and down Fifth Avenue on both side of the street. With every passing moment my anxiety grew. What had happen to them? One moment they were with me the next they weren't! How would I find them in the midst of all these people? How was I going to explain this to my family? I invited Mom and Aunt to New York for Thanksgiving and then lost them! This was my mother and my godmother I had to find them.

At the end of my rope I made my way back up Fifth Avenue beyond the story to Central Park were the car was parked. As I approached my car there on a park bench sat my mother and my aunt. I ran up to them hugged them, kissed them. They thought I was a little crazy, They hadn't been lost, I had been. A great relief came over me. A great joy filled my heart. In today's Gospel Jesus tells us God seeks us in the same way. No matter what we have done, no matter how much we struggle God looks and looks for us. God doesn't stop until we are found and I would bet the relief and joy I felt in finding my mother and aunt that day many years ago is not even close to what God feels when we are found.

Perhaps today might be a good day to go in search of God but do not be too surprised when God finds you and when God does..."feel the love!"

Daily Prayer: O God, give comfort to your people! Be that Shepherd who tenderly gathers us into your arms carrying us when we most need it. May we look forward to the joy of your embrace and never fear because you are always with us! Amen!

Runner's Thought: Make your run a prayer today. A thanksgiving prayer from yourself to God for all the wonderful things that you encounter even on the most difficult of runs.

Have a great Tuesday everyone! Wherever you are and whatever you are doing today, may your day be blessed. Peace in Christ's Passion...Fr. Paul

PS...Just a note to say the opening evening of the mission at Holy Family Parish in Nassau, the Bahamas was wonderful last night. There was a great spirit, many "amens!" Had a hard time getting to sleep. I ask your continued prayers for the preacher and the community as we walk by faith these days together!

No comments:

Post a Comment