Wednesday, January 9, 2013

January 9th Daily Thoughts - 01/09/2013

Daily Thoughts: At our community Eucharist this morning the celebrant opened his reflections by asking the question, "What do we most fear?" He offered a few examples of things that we might fear because of the state of religious life, the church, the world, what has taken place in our lives but basically he asked us to consider what we most fear at this moment. His question was based on the readings today, they both deal with fear. In the first reading John talks about perfect love casting out fear. In the Gospel Jesus tells the disciples to have courage and not fear. Yet fear always seems to be a part of our life doesn't it?

I know for myself fear has always raised its ugly head. I remember my mother talking about the time in her life when she was carrying me as being a time when she was most afraid. She, my father and my sister had just move back to the Pittsburgh area into a new home. It was in a new subdivision just outside of Pittsburgh, only a few homes were built and there were very few people in the neighborhood. She had not phone for a while, no car and spent a good portion of the day lone with my sister who was about 5 years old. Mother always said it was a fearful time in her life. I have often wondered if, I the baby in her womb, was affected by that time of fear in her life. For once I came into the world it seemed I was afraid of everything including my own shadow!

However, the question at this mornings mass gave me cause to pause and think, "What am I most afraid of?" There are many things I am afraid of but I have come, over the last few years, to realize that I am most afraid of love, not being loved, not finding love. I think it is because I realize that with love fear would not be a problem, yet fear is a problem for me. I think it is because I struggle with love.

Both Jesus and John tell us that today, if we love, if we allow ourselves to be loved, especially by God then fear will never hurt us, because love casts out fear. With love there is no room for fear without love fear takes up all the room!

No matter what life throws at us, no matter what changes take place in religious life, the church, culture, society, no matter what we loose or struggle with in life, if we let love in, if we value the presence of love, if we let ourselves love and be loved fear has no chance, no room!

Daily Prayer: O God, giver of all good gifts, pour into our hearts the brilliant light of your perfect love so that we my see, feel, embrace and welcome the gift of love into our lives as it comes to us from you and others. Helps us to have hearts that are open so that we are always ready and willing to love and be loved. Grant us a lasting peace made possible by your love which casts out all fear. Amen!

We continue to pray during this Christmas Season for families in grief; for little ones whose lives were too short; for teachers, administrators and responders who put others first; for a community that must find a way to live; for all of us who seek a world of lasting peace! Amen!

Runner's Thoughts: Run without fear today, breathe, run and permit the spirit of God's loving presence to be in each stride you take!

I would like to say Happy Birthday, to my Passionist brother and classmate, Christopher, today. May your day be truly blessed with many puns! (It's a long story!) To everyone else have a day blessed without fear because it is touch by much love! Peace in Christ's Passion...Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment