Monday, October 28, 2013

Daily Thoughts - 10/28/2013

Daily Thoughts: As we celebrate the Feast of Sts. Simon and Jude today, two apostles, two friends of Jesus, the thoughts I would like to offer you come from one of my favorite authors, Barbara Brown Taylor. Barbara writes about what it means to be a priest. Her thoughts have given me food for thought recently and so I offer them to you today.

“...a priest is someone willing to stand between a God and a people who are longing for one another's love, turning back and forth between them with no hope of tending either as well as each deserves. To be a priest is to serve a God who never stops calling people to do more justice and love more mercy, and simultaneously to serve people who nine times out of ten are just looking for a safe place to rest. To be a priest is to know that things are not as they should be and yet to care for them the way they are.”

I hope I live up to what it means to be a priest most of the time. I know at time I do fail and I pray that my failures do not hurt others or keep them from God. I do know that things are not as they should be and I hope and pray that I do care for all the way they are!

I have a great day everyone!

Daily Prayer:
Loving God, Often we hold on to the things we own and we are afraid to open our clenched hands. Who will we be when we have nothing left to hold on to? Who will we be when we stand before you with empty hands? Please help us to gradually open our hands and to discover that we are not what we own, but what you want to give us. Amen! (Adapted from a prayer by Henri J.M. Nouwen)

Runner’s Thoughts: Six days until the NYC Marathon and so my words of inspiration, my words of faith today come from Dean Karnazes, “Struggling and suffering are the essence of a life worth living. If you're not pushing yourself beyond the comfort zone, if you're not demanding more from yourself - expanding and learning as you go - you're choosing a numb existence. You're denying yourself an extraordinary trip.” (Dean Karnazes, Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner)

Daily Blessing: As this new work week begins we find ourselves getting ready to say “good bye” to October and its menagerie of colors, crisp morning air and sun drenched afternoons and we prepare to welcome November with its fading colors, ever darkening days and hustle and bustle of the soon approaching holiday season. So in the midst of this in between week I offer this prayer of blessing to begin your week and send you on your way to November…

Loving God, Creator of this new day, bless my friends and all so that we may live your truth in everything we do. That we may express your love to everyone we meet. Touch us with your grace so that we may share our enthusiasm and make each moment better; so that we may give life to our hopes; so that we may walk by faith; so that we may dance and sing to your music of life; so that we will always embrace your blessings and your love and make today and everyday worth remembering. Amen! Have a great Monday everyone! Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment