Thursday, October 31, 2013

Daily Thoughts: 10/31/2013

Daily Thoughts: “If God is for us who can be against us?” (Romans 8: 31b) This verse and the verses that follow in today first reading (Romans 8: 31b – 39) is one of my favorite passages in St. Paul’s letters. The verses Romans 8:38-39; “For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor present things, nor future things, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord” sits on the wall over my desk. It is a passage in St. Paul that everyone should read every morning before we do anything and every evening as we close our eyes to sleep.

Think about it, Paul’s question to us is, if God is for us who can be against us? Paul’s answer is nobody! A second question is who or what can separate us for God’s love? It seems that Paul’s answer to this question is the same, nothing and no one! However, that is not really true because for me Paul leaves out one thing – us. We are the only ones who can separate us from God’s love. We are the only ones who can get in the way.

Our challenge today and every day, if I can paraphrase Jesus in today’s Gospel, “[We] must continue on [our] way today, tomorrow, and the following day.” (Luke 13: 33) but we do it knowing that God is for us and nothing but ourselves can separate us from God’s love. Thus if we are true, faithful, hopeful and committed to our friendship with God it is always going to be a great day!

Have a great day everyone and Happy Halloween!

Daily Prayer: O God, lover of all who hope in you, without whom nothing has foundation, nothing is holy, grace us in abundance with your love, compassion and mercy and grant that, with you as our friend and guide, we may use the good gifts that are within and around us in such a way so that we will hold fast to a hope that will endure. We make our prayer today through Jesus Christ our Lord in whom the love of God for us is always present. Amen!

Runner’s Thoughts: Three days until the NYC Marathon and my words of inspiration and faith for today are – “I run because long after my footprints fade away, maybe I will have inspired a few to reject the easy path, hit the trails, put one foot in front of the other, and come to the same conclusion I did: I run because it always takes me where I want to go.” (Dean Karnazes) And I believe, I have faith in God, in Christ, in the Spirit, because long after I am gone maybe I will have inspired a few to reject the easy road, hit the Eucharist, prayer and community, put one foot in front of the other, and come to the same conclusion I did: I believe because it always takes me to God’s love!

Daily Blessing: Happy Halloween everyone! I hope your morning has gone well; it was a busy one for me. The day here in Pelham is dreary yet a little on the mild side but there is certainly a fall feel to the air. The weather for Sunday looks to be cold and windy, I don’t mind running in the cold but the wind from the northwest is often not pleasant! So if you have a notion to pray for me on Sunday, pray for a gentle breeze, please!

Well if you will be heading out trick or treating tonight please be safe and if you are headed out tonight but not trick or treating drive alert so the little ones or anyone out and about will be safe!

As this week winds down I offer this prayer and blessing for all today – Loving God, give us friends who will love us for who and what we are, and keep ever burning before our vagrant steps the kindly light of hope... And though we come not within sight of the castles of our dreams, teach us to be thankful for life, and for time's olden memories that are good and heartwarming. And may the evening's twilight find us gentle still and at peace. Blessings to all – Amen! Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment