Monday, September 14, 2015

Daily Thoughts - 09/14/2015



Daily Thoughts: Today is a very special feast in the Church and the Passionist Community. It is the Feast of the Triumph of the Cross. So I offer you two simple prayers to guide you through this day and life...

The first comes from our Passionist tradition it is a simple prayer we utter each day - "May the Passion of our Lord Jesus Christ be always in our hearts!"

The second prayer was written by the great Jesuit theologian Fr. Karl Rahner, S.J. - "The Cross of My Lord, Be my Standard, Be my Comfort, Be the Answer to all dark questions, The Light of all nights, The Sign that You have chosen us, The mysterious and sure Sign that we are Yours for eternity. Amen."

These two simple prayers reflect the meaning of the Cross that we as Church and as the Passionist Community celebrate this day.

May the Passion and the Cross of our Lord, Jesus Christ be not a sign of violence, oppression, war and failure. May The Passion and Cross of Christ be a sign of God's great and unconditional love for us. May the Passion and Cross of Jesus be a walking stick that we can lean on to rest; be a protector in times of struggle and danger; and always be a reminder of just how much God love's us, no matter how imperfect we are as we journey through life!

Have a great Monday everyone.

Daily Prayer: "The Cross of My Lord, Be my Standard, Be my Comfort, Be the Answer to all dark questions, The Light of all nights, The Sign that You have chosen us, The mysterious and sure Sign that we are Yours for eternity. Amen." (By Fr. Karl Rahner, S.J.)

A Runner's Thoughts: At first an ordeal and then an accomplishment, the daily run becomes a staple, like bread, or wine... or air. (Benjamin Cheever, author and Runner's World contributor) We might also say that the daily run also becomes our prayer, our conversation with God each day!

Daily Blessing: Monday greetings and blessings to everyone and happy feast of the Exaltation of the Cross! I hope your weekend when well and that your favorite team or teams won if you are in to sports. If not I hope you had a weekend unbothered by sports and full of what gives you life.

I will be heading to our retreat center in West Hartford this morning to attend the funeral of one of our men. With my busy preaching schedule I don’t often get the chance to be present at our funerals so when I get the chance I like to go. We have had a lot of funerals over the last year. I guess it is just the reality of being a part of an aging religious community. Fr. Ronan was a fine man. I never had the chance to live with him and I really did not know him very well but I am glad to be able the gift of his life and entrance into eternal life today.

My prayer for all of you as I journey through this day is that you will have a good journey through this day too. May you live by faith today and trust in the gift that you are. May God recognize your faith and bless you with the unconditional love that we are reminded of each time we look upon his cross. If you are struggling today may you find the grace of hope, peace and love to see you through this day. Blessings today upon all you do, upon everyone you meet and most importantly upon all of you! Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment