Sunday, September 13, 2015

Sunday Thoughts - 09/13/2015



Daily Thoughts: These words from Jesus always seem so difficult and at times next to impossible to live. “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny him [or her] self, take up his [or her] cross, and follow me” (Mark 8:34)

Yet, we have all met people who are wonderfully generous with their time, their money, their gifts and talents, while at the same time not calling any attention to themselves. People who seem willing to die to self for the greater good. And I have to say I am profoundly envious of these people and the freedom they seem to possess because I know that in my own life I fall tremendously short of living life this way. We also know many people whose slogan seems to be “Life is about me!”

Living and giving without wanting or needing gratitude and praise is intensely challenging. It takes a certain kind of person. One who has a loving heart and who is willing to let go of the need for others to notice what is getting done.

Throughout Jesus’ life there were a lot of little deaths before his ultimate death of the cross. Over and over Jesus had to embrace dying in order to carry on his life and ministry. He died to fame, fortune, power, acceptance, approval, popularity and at times even love. He died to all the things at we human beings seem to long for and think we cannot live without. Jesus lived out of a wisdom, knowledge and trust in himself and God’s unconditional love and it made all the difference.

In the Gospel of John, we hear John the Baptist say, “He must increase, but I must decrease.” Perhaps another way of say what Jesus says today. The people whom I described above come to know in themselves that life is about God not them. They are willing to decrease so that God can increase and become present to the world. If the world could only learn this kind of trust, of letting go what a wonderful place this would be.

My friends in the Passion of Jesus let us try and let go and let God today. Let us decrease so that Jesus can increase in our lives. Let us deny ourselves, take up the crosses of life and follow Jesus today and always.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Daily Prayer:
Loving God, grant that we may never fall away in success or in failure; that we may not be prideful in prosperity nor dejected in adversity. Let us rejoice only in what unites us and sorrow only in what separates us. May we strive to please no one or fear to displease anyone except you. May we see always the things that are eternal and never those that are only mundane. May we shun any joy that is without you and never seek any that is beside you. May we delight in any work we do for you and tire of any rest that is apart from you. Let us direct our hearts towards you, and in our failings, always repent with a purpose of improvement. Loving God may we always live by faith! Amen. (Adapted from a prayer by St. Thomas Aquinas)

A Runner’s Thoughts: I often hear someone say I'm not a real runner. We are all runners, some just run faster than others. I never met a fake runner.  (Bart Yasso) Might we also say this about people of faith? It is easy to judge, but we never know what is in a person’s heart. With that said I have never met a fake person of faith!

Daily Blessing: Sunday greetings and blessing to all. I hope your weekend is going well. If you are a sports fan especially a football fan I hope your favorite team or team have won or will win. It was hard yesterday to have the TV on and not watch a football game and I am sure the same will be true today. I have to say having baseball as my first love I find it discouraging to see baseball get relegated to an afterthought, an “oh by the way,” as soon as football started. But I guess we must decrease so football can increase! If not you are not a sports fan will excuse my little rant and that you are making it through the weekend unbothered by sports and full of what gives you life.

Well enough about the things we cannot change, the focus as always is today and I pray for all of you that your journey through Sunday may it be a good one. May you live by faith today and trust in the gift that you are. May God recognize your faith and bless you with the trust and willingness to let go and let God. If you are struggling with your faith may you find the strength to trust in the presence of God in your life. Blessings today upon all you do, upon everyone you meet and most importantly upon all of you and don’t forget to give God a little time today. Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment