Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Daily Thoughts - 07/29/2014



Daily Thoughts: “You do not need to know precisely what is happening, or exactly where it is all going. What you need is to recognize the possibilities and challenges offered by the present moment, and to embrace them with courage, faith and hope.” (Thomas Merton) I thought of these words by Merton today as I celebrated mass on this Feast of St. Martha. I think Martha fits these words well.

In the Gospel reading (John 11:19-27) we see a different side of Martha than the one in Luke (10:38-42). It is as if Martha has grown in her faith, her relationship with God and in her understanding of her friendship with Christ. In John, Martha is a faith filled woman, who does not fully understand but recognizes the possibilities and challenges and embraces them with courage, faith and hope. She seeks God in the present moment and in the end is greatly blessed.

We all need to pause and allow the gift of St. Martha’s spirit to enliven our own spirits today. May the spirit of St. Martha gifted us with the courage, faith and hope to live this day ready to recognize the possibilities and challenges and embrace them with the grace of God’s love.

Happy Tuesday and blessing to all on this Feast of St. Martha!

Daily Prayer: Loving God, you have promised to remain forever with those who do what is just and right.  Help us to live in your presence this day and always. Help us to live Jesus’ commandment of love and bring your peace and joy to others.  Keep us ever mindful of the wisdom and love you have made known in Christ. Grace us with the courage, faith and hope to make your presence known though our words and actions. Amen!

Runner’s Thought: “...there was some kind of connection between the capacity to love and the capacity to love *running*. The engineering was certainly the same: both depended on loosening your grip on your own desires, putting aside what you wanted and appreciating what you've got, being patient and forgiving and... undemanding...maybe we shouldn't be surprised that getting better at one could make you better at the other.”  (Christopher McDougall, Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen)

Daily Blessing: Tuesday greetings to everyone! I hope everyone had a good Monday and that your week has gotten off to a good start.

My Monday was a rather busy one as I began preparations for my Lourdes Pilgrimage which begins next Monday (August 4th). I hosted the fourteen people who will be traveling with me last night so that we could get to know each other and talk about our journey together beginning next Monday.

One of the things on my “to do” list this week in preparation for the journey is to work on the masses that I will celebrate over the 10 days with the group. We will be having mass each day and I am excited that among the place I will be celebrating mass are two chapels at Lourdes (Chapel of St. Anne and Chapel of St. Joan of Arc), also in the Chapel of Bernadette in Nevers, the Cathedral in Chartres and the Basilica of Saint Therese of Lisieux in Lisieux. These are some very interesting places and I will be honored to celebrate mass with the group. I think all in all this will be a wonderful trip! My “to do” list is a long one so each day this week will be a busy one!

I hope your week is not too busy in fact I hope some of you are on vacation and enjoying some time of rest and relaxation! I hope all of you will have a great Tuesday no matter where you are or what today will bring! I pray for God’s blessings upon all of you as you go through your day. May God bless all your endeavors, may God be with you in all of your challenges and in all of your struggles. Please trust in the presence of God that you carry within you and don’t be afraid to share your gift. Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment