Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Daily Thoughts - 07/30/2014



Daily Thoughts: The Gospel for today (Matt. 13:44-46) talks about the Kingdom of God and Jesus uses two images for the Kingdom, a buried treasure and a fine pearl. In the case of the treasure the person sells everything and buys the field where the treasure is buried and in the case of the pearl the merchant too sells everything in order to buy the pearl. In other words when it comes to the Kingdom of God we must be all in because it is worth more than anything else.

While the feast of St. Ignatius is tomorrow I thought the following quote from Ignatius seems to say the same thing about the Kingdom of God as Jesus in today’s Gospel but Ignatius says it a little differently!

“God freely created us so that we might know, love, and serve him in this life and be happy with him forever. God's purpose in creating us is to draw forth from us a response of love and service here on earth, so that we may attain our goal of everlasting happiness with him in heaven.

All the things in this world are gifts of God, created for us, to be the means by which we can come to know him better, love him more surely, and serve him more faithfully.

As a result, we ought to appreciate and use these gifts of God insofar as they help us toward our goal of loving service and union with God. But insofar as any created things hinder our progress toward our goal, we ought to let them go.”

Happy Hump Day everyone! May God bless your journey through this day!

Daily Prayer:
O loving God, teach us to be generous
to serve you as you deserve to be served
to give without counting the cost
to fight without fear of being wounded
to work without seeking rest
and to spend ourselves without expecting any reward
but the knowledge that we are doing your holy will.
Amen (Adapted from a prayer by St. Ignatius of Loyola)

A Runner’s Thoughts: “I run because if I didn’t, I’d be sluggish and glum and spend too much time on the couch. I run to breathe the fresh air. I run to explore. I run to escape the ordinary. I run…to savor the trip along the way. Life becomes a little more vibrant, a little more intense. I like that.” (Dean Karnazes)

I run to pray. I run to give glory to God. I run to have a little one on one time with God. I run to encounter the gift of God’s creation. I run to make God a little more real in my life. And I like that!

Daily Blessing: Happy Wednesday everyone! Yes, it is “Hump Day” once again but our “Hump Day” camel is on vacation!

I hope your day has started well and will become even better as you journey through it. If not hang in there because there is always tomorrow and the chance for a better day!

Enjoy your “Hump Day” everyone and may God bless your day with many good experiences and people! Peace in Christ’s Passion…Fr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment